(City of Newburgh, NY) -- A malfunctioning power strip is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a historic Newburgh mansion earlier this week.
According to the "Times Herald-Record," fire officials say a power strip on the second floor of the 118-year-old Grand Street home overheated. The homeowners made it out unharmed but their cat didn't survive the Wednesday morning fire. The mansion's previous owners include attorney and New York Law School dean George Smith, "Newburgh Daily News" publisher Frederick Keefe and notable hat-maker Beatrice Kidd.
Photo: flickr, Ada Be
Copyright © 2018TTWN Media Networks LLC