Historic Newburgh Mansion Destroyed

(City of Newburgh, NY)  --  A  malfunctioning power strip is believed to be the cause of a fire that  destroyed a historic Newburgh mansion earlier this week.  

According to  the "Times Herald-Record," fire officials say a power strip on the  second floor of the 118-year-old Grand Street home overheated.  The  homeowners made it out unharmed but their cat didn't survive the  Wednesday morning fire.  The mansion's previous owners include attorney  and New York Law School dean George Smith, "Newburgh Daily News"  publisher Frederick Keefe and notable hat-maker Beatrice Kidd.

Photo:  flickr, Ada Be

Copyright © 2018TTWN Media Networks LLC 

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content