(Hyde Park, NY)--All four dorms at the Culinary Institute of America had to be evacuated this morning for a report of a fire in a dorm room.
The dorms were evacuated around 10:30am as firefighters worked to locate the electrical fire, and the power was cut off to the entire campus. Some transformers were found to be overheating, likely from a power surge from a nearby tree cutting incident along Route 9. Central Hudson crews also responded to the scene.The power was restored to the campus around 12 noon. Central Hudson spokesman John Maserjian says the CIA owns the private electrical distribution center on campus.
Meanwhile, a tree cutting operation north of the Marist Campus in front of the Hudson River Psych Center property went terribly wrong when a tree fell onto a power line cutting off power to about 100 customers between Marist and the CIA.One of the private contractors had to be hospitalized after the incident.Several Central Hudson crews were working along Route 9 North to repair the damage. Maserjian says one utility pole had to be replaced. The Central Hudson spokesman recommends that anyone doing tree trimming work near power lines, should get advice from Central Hudson before beginning the work.